Thursday, January 17, 2008

The best way to learn a foreign language

[writing /Scott] In your opinion,what is the best way to learn a foreign language:in a class,on your own,(outside of class),or a combination of the two?

Whenever a friend asks me how to learn English in a fastest way ,I will always tell them there's never easy or quick way to learn a foreign language.As they say,Rome wasn't built in a day.You can not expect to handle a language only in class or all by youself.Neither the help from the teacher or your own hard work can be obmited.

Take myself as an example(though my English sucks here among my smart classmates and native speakers,it's fine in China ^-^).I started learning English since Grade2 when English became a subject at school in my hometown.Thanks to my lovely mom,who immediately concluded English would be important for my future,I was sent to extra English classes after school.At that time ,I really felt like I was the poorest little girl in the world because when my friends were watching cartoons at home on weekends I was rushing between different classes.It was like nightmares(Thank god my mom doesn't speak or read English at all,or I will probably be killed now)However, I fell in love with English later on.Well you know,the better you are doing something the more interested you will be in it.Yeah,as you can tell,a little proud English girl appeared..

The reson why I say language cannot be learnt without a good teacher is that once formed, bad habits are not easy to get rid of.This cannot be more right when talking about learning a foreign language. I cannot remember how many of my classmetes keep hos'pital instead of 'hospital.They might hear somebody say it but now ,they say it naturally even they know it is wrong.That's the power of bad habit. In view if this,a good teacher is essential for beginners .They help you form the right habits and lead you into right direction.

If I had only taken courses ,listened to the teachers,done my homework my English would never be like this.I may have good scores like my classmates do.However,I cannot use it in communication.I worked hard on my language learning.70%of my English and other language was learnt by myself.In Chinese,we have an old saying that you'd better have no book if you totally believe in your books,which means nobody is always right and sometimes you have to look for the answers yourself.Teachers are not always right either.You have to work on your own.

In all,language is the most valuable thing that a country and its people have.It shows the cult of the culture of the country and the intelligence of people.That's what you can never learn by other subjects.Listening to your teachers advise and working hard by yourself is the best way to get our foreign language improved.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

OMG!
why you wrote so many words...
i cannot even finish reading it...
~lol~

Fan (*^__^*) said...

I just felt boring with these kisnds of topics...

Martin said...

You're right Fan when you mention that it's important to learn a language the good way first! Like me for example, I learned it mostly here while working on construction (and do I have to say that these workers do not speak the best English ever!!??!)
So now I have to "relearn" and change my bad habits. Damn! =)